Eyelea is used to treat macular degeneration, a disease of the eye. This is about 500 vials of it, so about $2,000 a dose. There is a generic available, Avastin, that costs about $80 a dose.
This is a stack that a Buffalo ophthalmologist made using the empty vials he accumulated over about two years.
Here's what you can do with $1 million:
- You could hire 20 substance abuse counselors for a year.
- You could completely immunize 1,000 children.
- You could feed 300,000 meals to homeless people.
- You could house 200 homeless people for a year.
- It's 50,000 bags of groceries.
- It's Head Start for 200 kids for a year.
- It would cure 50 people of Hepatitis C.
- It's prenatal care for 1,000 babies.